Bird Restoration

All work here is client commissioned work to either restore the habitat surrounding a piece of taxidermy, recasing a specimen or restoring/cleaning a specimen. From private collections to museum collections.


Every piece is bespoke and catered to the clients needs. No habitat restoration, taxidermy restoration/cleaning or recasing is the same. 

If there is something you can't find here and want to find out more. Please do not hesitate to email taxtiles.taxidermy@gmail.com

Before and after of a restoration of 2 antique museum birds

These birds are part of the Reading museum collection. I was given the task to restore both of these birds which had a very bad infestation of carpet beetles. The glass had to be taken off first before working on them. As the feathers were loose due to the infestation, I had to be very careful not to remove the feathers while cleaning them as they would fall out. There was also cracking in the back of the case as well which needed to be sealed to stop any unwanted pests coming into the case in the future. Both specimens had been fumigated. So this was a historical infestation.

Both birds were restored using museum grade conservation techniques which can be easily reversed if needed be. The beak sheaths and parts of the claws were also restored and recoloured. Once the restoration work had been completed, I re-taped and coloured the tape holding the glass and the case.

Before and after of a restoration of exotic antique birds
 

Gave these birds a very overdue clean and freshen up. Recoloured parts where there were missing feathers, fumigated, new eyes in most of the birds (I know not scientifically correct but the clients request). Took the whole diorama from it's original base as the glass dome had smashed. Supplied a new modern dome for the birds. As the new dome was a bit on the short side. The backing board holding the birds and diorama needed to be cut down to size to accommodate this. Diorama on the base was also overhauled and redone as you can see in the before and after.

Before and after of fumigating and restoring a Crow
 

The poor crow was in dire need of cleaning and fumigation. It had moth eggs around it's feet, but luckily it was caught in time for treatment. I fumigated and quarantined the specimen for a few weeks before working on it to make sure the infestation stopped spreading. Luckily it only got to the feet. However I had another contender to be challenged with. Fat burn (when a bird hasn't been cleaned properly during processing of mounting and the fat seeps out of the skin into the feathers). This makes the specimen very fragile. So I had to work very carefully when cleaning. I also steamed the wing feathers to join the missing parts together. And finally once degreased and washed, I went around with black pan pastels around the missing feathers to blend in with black feathers. Cleaned around the eyes and fixed the skin under the beak. I'm confident to say it looks alot better than before!

Before and after of a restoration of a Pheasant
 

This great example of an antique pheasant needed some well overdue TLC. Unfortunately the moths got to the tail and some of the feathers on the specimen. Luckily when the infestation was found, The general specimen could be saved. I was tasked with cleaning the specimen and transplanting a new tail. Paintwork around the wattle and recasing the bird with new foliage. You can see the before and after photos on the left. A large but very satisfying project!

Before and after of a restoration of a lesser black-backed seagull
 

This seagull needed some well overdue TLC. You can see in the before amd after shots how well this guy came out after a good clean. I also added eye rings and fixed his boots so they're in the right position.